...which was inspired by this sweet photo of my little ballerina...
Courtney looooooves tutus! She wears one every single day. Truly. She started taking dance classes in the fall and gets so excited every week when she gets to go. The result is that her mama has become slightly obsessed with buying ballerina stamps!! I have quite a collection going. And this precious image from MFT's Ballet Recital Jolinne is one of my absolute favorites. In the photo of Courtney, she's wearing a tulle tutu I made for her - so of course I had to make a little tulle tutu for the card, too! :-)
I played along with the latest MFT WSC sketch challenge, it worked perfectly for this card!
And now, I thought you might like to learn how to make a tutu for your own little ballerina! It's sooo easy to do!
1. Gather your supplies. You'll need ribbon, ~4-5 yards of tulle, scissors and a measuring tape. The amount of tulle just depends on how full you want your tutu. Cut your tulle into strips 4" wide. The easiest way to do this is to roll up the tulle & then cut.
2. Measure around your little ballerina's waist, and use that measurement to tie knots in your ribbon, leaving tails of ribbon beyond the knots for tying. The tulle will be tied between your two knots.
3. Tie the tulle to the ribbon using the loop method - make a loop and then bring the tails of the tulle up through the loop. Pull to tighten.
4. Continue in this method to fill up your ribbon, making the tutu as full as you'd like. Here I used two different colors of tulle. After I finished with the tulle, I also added some strips of ribbon in the same manner.
5. Voila! My finished tutu! :-)
If you make a tutu, or a tutu-inspired card, leave me a link so I can check it out - I'd love to see!
And I have to tell you, I just got the BEST compliment on my ballerina card. Courtney came over here and saw it and said in her sweet little 3 yr old voice, "Mommy can I have that ballerina card? It's amaaaazing!" Yay, the very best approval. :-)
Have a wonderful weekend!
- Stamps: Ballet Recital Jolinne and Happy Thoughts from MFT
- Paper: SU Pink Pirouette, Hobby Lobby hot pink dots, Memory Box light pink dots, GP white
- Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic markers
- Accessories: Cuttlebug Swiss Dots , tulle, pearls, Stickles, velvet ribbon, PTI scallop edge die, straight pin